Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Odds and Sods 3

Three is a magic number...

Can someone explain to me why every time I turn on VH1 Classic I see a Bon Jovi/Motley Crue/Poison or Def Leppard video?  They are on every show that has videos, sometimes more than once; Totally 80's, Rock Fest and Metal Mania.  Just watch one of those shows the whole way through and you'll see at least two, but probably all of the bands.  The easy answer is they fit into all three categories, but are those bands really metal?  I don't think so...hard rock, sure...metal...nope.

When did driving become a game to figure out where the person in front of you is going?  I like directionals, they are good and important in my mind.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't know where you the person in front of me...you know, the one talking on the phone, doing your hair, reading a book and/or doing your taxes...is going.  For the simple price of...free...since they come with your car...you can tell me by turning on one of those handy dandy blinking arrow thingys.  An exception to this rule would be the 75+ crowd that likes to keep their directionals on 24/7.  You're on a two lane highway, in the left lane...you can't go anymore left...please turn it off...it's been on for 15 miles.  By the way you're driving 54 mph on a 65 mph highway...that's why people are passing you on the right.  No, they aren't waving at you...they are pissed and those hand signals...well....this is a family blog.  Let's say it's not to remind you of how popular you were in 1962, when everyone knew you.

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "...I drank what?"

Fantasy Sports Corner:

UFC picks: I went 3-2 in my last pick'em.  I'm not dedicating a blog to it anymore...I'll just update it in Odds/Sods.  I have to remember not everyone is into the UFC like I am.  Anyways, fight picks for UFC 119 on 9/25/10.

Frank Mir v. Mirko Cro Cop (tough one, Cro Cop, TKO)
Antonio Rogerio Noguiera v. Ryan Bader (Bader, Decision)
Matt Serra v. Chris Lytle (Serra, Decision)

Just three fights today...That's enough.


The Hong Kong Cavaliers (fantasy baseball) lost in the semifinal series and is now playing the 3rd place series.
The Flying Burrito Brothers (fantasy football) are 1-1. 

Hall Passes:

I just finished reading I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to be your Class President.  It was written by Josh Lieb, who is an executive producer/writer for The Daily Show.  I normally don't read fiction, but the description of the book sold me on it and it was $6.40 on Amazon.  It's also written for Young Adults, I know, well beyond my reading level, but I'm trying to expand my horizons.  The book is completely brilliant, but loses it in the last 20 or so, pages.  Still recommended...

Today is the 23rd anniversary of Jaco Pastorius' death.  I just wanted to pay a little homage to this great jazz bassist.  This video is from the great work he did with Joni Mitchell.  Pat Methany is the guitarist, another legend in own right.



Suspensions:

People that refer to their favorite sports team  in conversation as "We played" or "Our team."  You're on the team?  Really?  When?  Does the manager or coach know this?  What position do you play?  They can be your favorite team, but you have nothing to do with their success or failure.  When you get a paycheck from the team then you can say these things.

Expulsions:

Justin Bieber, I know not original, but honestly, who is this kid?  I'll be the first to admit that I don't listen to the radio much and when I do it's mainly Classic Rock or Oldies.  It just really struck me, because he's going to be guest starring on the season premiere of CSI.  The original one in Vegas, not Portugal or Presque Isle, ME.  That would be a dull show...CSI: Presque Isle, ME.  Look it up...you'll understand it then.  Anyways, sorry for the distraction.  I know this Bieber kid gets made fun of a lot, but he's playing arenas at 16 yrs old.  He's laughing at you, folks.  Your daughter is obsessed with him and is purchasing everything and anything with his name or face on it.  Ground your kids if they even mention his name.  Parenting 101.  Yes, you'll have the last laugh when he's hanging out with Leif Garrett and Danny Bonaduce in a few years, but that's still a little ways off.

No comments:

Post a Comment