Friday, September 10, 2010

September 11th, 1951

Kevin, Dad and Myself

I know 9/11 is the greatest American tragedy of my lifetime and my heart goes out to everyone touched by it.  It is however also, my Dad's birthday and that's how I like to think about it.  He would have been 59 yrs old on Saturday, but passed away in 1997 of cancer.  September 10th, the day I'm writing this, is Stand Up to Cancer Day or something that celebrities want to feel good about doing.  I'm all for our most famous and recognizable celebs putting in face time to try to eradicate this or any horrible disease.  Cancer sucks...that's the simplest and most basic way I can put it.  There is nothing good about it and it effects everyone involved. 

I'm not trying to stand here on a soapbox and preach about stuff you already know.  The trigger for this whole thing actually wasn't my Dad's birthday, but was Robert Schimmel dying in car accident just a few days ago.  In case you are unaware of who that is, he was a comedian and a pretty good one, but more importantly, he was a cancer survivor.  It just really hit me, he survived cancer, but died in a car accident.  If that's not telling you life is fleeting, then I don't what is? 

I was 23 when my Dad died and one of my few regrets was that I didn't have enough time with him.  I thought I was the "bees knees" and didn't need anything from him.  Looking back, I'd love to go back in time and kick my own ass about that.  So, treasure all of your time with friends, family and loved ones, because if it takes a crisis to get you into that mindset, you're wasting time.  Yes, I miss my Dad...everyday, but I don't talk about it, because I know I'm not the only one missing someone for whatever reason that may be...it's all different for everyone.  So for those out there struggling...some days are better than others, talk about it when you're ready and stay as strong as you can.  And no, crying doesn't mean your weak...it means you care.

To everyone out there...hopefully 9/11/10 will be good to you.

Happy Birthday Dad...wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment