Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Terry Fox Story


I'd say most people in the United States don't know who Terry Fox is.  That's fine.  I probably wouldn't know either, but I saw a made for HBO movie back in the early 80's about him and never forgot.  He was a young cancer survivor, although, an amputee, that was going to run across Canada for Cancer research.  Basically, what started as a personal mission, with the help of his brother, Darrell and best friend, Doug, would by the end of it, turn the nation on it's head.

His real life struggle is even greater than what is portrayed in the movie.  He tried to run 5,000 miles, but was able to "ONLY" run 3,339 miles in 143 days.  He did this all on one leg don't forget and he didn't have the technology for artificial limbs we have now.  I watched the premiere of the 30 for 30 documentary Into the Wind.  I learned first hand from the people involved about what really happened and Fox has every right to be a National Hero in Canada.  It's that amazing.

So, what am I asking of you?  I'm not asking for donations, that's on you.  So, nothing, watch the documentary.  DVR it, watch it with your kids and/or loved ones.  Tell your kids that sometimes there are real heroes in sports and they won't disappoint you.  It's incredibly rare, but it does happen.  Terry Fox ran a marathon of hope and all he wanted to do was make a difference.  I'd say he succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment