Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Future Is Unwritten

8/21/1952 - 12/22/2002

Eight years ago today Joe Strummer died.  I never looked at him like he was a "rock star," I always thought that was Mick Jones' job in the Clash.  Strummer was lyrically superior to Jones, but didn't have his talent as a musician.  I think he made up for it by putting his heart and passion into his songs.  Writing more politically or socially motivated lyrics.  Kind of like a barometer for the times.  A modern folk singer, just a bit louder.










I've believed for as long as I can remember, that you can get your message out through song.  Whatever that message may be.  If put together correctly, you have a captive audience.  Not everyone is going to agree with what you're saying, but that's not the point.  Your message is out there.  Whomever wants to grab it and hold on to it, can...it's just there.  Joe Strummer believed you could change the world with song and in a lot ways, I think he did.  He focused more on the message and less on himself.  It's a lesson that today's activist rock stars need to learn how to do better.  I'm not calling anyone out today.  Another day, maybe, Sunday Bloody Sunday, I'll talk to Roxanne and call people out...just not today.  I still hear your message Joe, loud and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment