Monday, February 21, 2011

Odds And Sods 7


I haven't done one of these in quite a while.  It's not that I don't have a lot of things, that don't really have enough to be a full entry.  It's that I'm just trying to do other things.  I still need to write some interviews and reviews.  Just haven't been into it lately.  I had a week full of headaches, but that's not really the reason.  It's definitely not the music or the bands, so I don't know...just a lot on my mind.

So what's going on?  I've been researching for my up coming Fantasy Baseball Auction Draft.  I know you're all impressed.  Yes, I know I'm nerdy on multiple levels and I'm very proud of it.  I think everyone is pretty nerdy in their own way.  Don't believe me, do you collect anything?  Then you're a nerd...sorry to inform you.  It goes with the territory.  There's nothing wrong with it.  I'm pretty sure all of my friends are and would be worried if I knew someone that wasn't.  I don't know what kind of person that would be. So, back to the baseball.  I'm taking over a team that was an expansion team.  In this league, you have a salary cap and sign players to contracts that last between 1 and 4 seasons.  So, there is more to it than just drafting luck.  There are some players unavailable, because they are under contract.  I know about half the people in the league personally.  I'm familiar with a couple of others, but have never met them.  Okay, this is now boring me and I'm writing it.  So, end scene...

I've been listening to a lot of podcasts lately.  I like listening to interviews.  I tend to listen mainly to the comedy based ones.  They do get serious, but generally are very funny.  We all need laughter in our life and in my opinion, you can never have enough.  I've been listening to the Nerdist.  I know go figure.  It's hosted by comedian Chris Hardwick mainly, with other co-hosts rotating in and out, but he's the mainstay.  I listen for the guests, he's had some really good ones.  I also really like WTF with Marc Maron.  Another interview based comedy show.  Again, he's had some really great guests.  The other one I started listening to is called Podcast Masters.  Hosted by comedians Jim Breuer and Pete Correale.  It's mainly about their careers and Jim being a father to three daughters and how he handles it.  Parenting in a funny way.  Since, I'm about to become a parent.  I try to listen to any and all types of parenting styles.  Even a comedian that's looked stoned his entire life.

Lastly, because I don't have much else to talk about really.  There are some movies opening in March that will probably get overlooked, but hopefully not.  The Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon is opening early in March.  It's based on a Philip K. Dick (Blade Runner, Minority Report, Total Recall, do I need to go on?) short story.  I just want to see how they run with it.  Dick wrote this story in 1954 and most of his stories in the 50's, 60's and 70's.  Just imagine having that type of creative mind to think of this stuff 50 years ago.  So, ahead of his time.  Kevin Smith's penultimate movie Red State is opening for an early run in New York City.  It opens everywhere in October.  I'm not sure if he will really retire after Hit Somebody.  I hope not, because I do enjoy his work.  The last movie I'll "pimp," as the cool kids say.  Personally, I think if you say the word "pimp" and think it's cool.  You've made a mistake.  Nobody speaks like that, unless your Katt Williams and everyone knows he isn't funny.  Where was I?  Oh right, the next movie, Limitless, starring Bradley Cooper and Bobby D.  I never read the novel, but it sounds very interesting.  A drug that lets you use your entire brain to it's full capability.  That sounds fascinating to me.  I generally don't read fiction, but that book sounds great.

That's all I have for you today.  I'll try to do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment