Friday, March 25, 2011

Nine By Design 28





This week's list of 9 is about travel.  What no music?  I'm sure I could sit here, quote and reference all the songs about travel, but I won't at this time.  You're welcome.  I'm going to get to the list, because I've had what you'd call a long night.  Insomnia, just shows up at times.  Next thing you know it's almost 4 AM.  On with the list...it's just not going to be as inspired as others.

Favorite Travels In The States

Newfound Lake, New Hampshire - Probably, okay, definitely my favorite place on this Earth of ours.  Rain or shine, I'll pick my little summer camp every day of the week.  When the weather is nice, you have the lake to cool you off.  It's all about the people...I've known most of them my entire life.  It makes everthing perfect.

Pennsylvania - Yes, the state.  Just don't try to drive through it in one shot, then it's not that much fun.  Philadelphia is a really fantastic city.  There is so much to do there and a ton of really cool places.  Then you travel a little west into Easton, where my cousins live.  It's a really nice area.  I can see why they have settled there.  Nice place to raise a family.

Las Vegas - One of my English professors in college said, "It's the greatest fake city in the world."  I've been there only once, but loved every minute of it.  Had one of the better poker runs of my life.  Finishing 4th two tournaments in a row and 20th in the third.  Needless to say, I went home with money.  Not a ton, but my $600 might as well have been, $60,000.  A free weekend is a wonderful thing.

The Quad Cities - My wife's godparents live there.  There are two cities in Illinois (Moline and Rock Island, where they live) and two in Iowa (Davenport and Bettendorf) that make up the Quad Cities.  It's the Midwest, everyone is so nice.  And not fake nice, but genuinely, nice.  Plus, you can go to Bettendorf to see the Croatian Sensation, Pat Miletich at his gym in Bettendorf. 

Santa Cruz, CA - I could never live here, but I love visiting.  It's far too laid back for me to live there.  The East Coast/New England intensity (insanity), would not translate well.  I'm not a beach guy, but they have a wonderful boardwalk and really great food.  Another place where everyone is pretty nice.  NorCal is where it's at.

Cleveland, OH - No, seriously, don't laugh.  I was there on tour for a few days, years ago.  It was wonderful.  We stayed at motel that was pretty much right on Lake Erie, but what isn't on Lake Erie in Cleveland.  It was just a great city in my eyes.  Granted, I didn't live there, but I enjoyed my visit.  Oh and we went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, for free.  Touring bands get in for free.  I don't agree with the way they make their choices, but the museum is awesome for a music nerd.

Massachusetts - I'm from there, but haven't lived in the state for over a decade.  Depending where you go in the state, it's all very different.  I think that's why I'll always consider myself to be from MA.  You can have the cities in and around Boston or go to the remote Walden Pond, all within the same state.  It's really all about the history.

Disney World - We went here for our honeymoon.  It was the best choice we could have made.  Neither one of us are drinkers/beach bums, so a resort like Sandals or Club Med was out.  We wanted stuff to do and there is a ton of stuff to do there.  I think that's understood.  If you plan on going, a little research goes a long way.  Stay in the park and get one of the food plans.  It pays for itself in no time.  You can eat anywhere in the park and all you have to do is have your card scanned.  Brilliant.

Austin, TX - If you're into music, just about any kind...this is the place for you.  They have the South By Southwest Festival every year, which has expanded beyond music.  If you're there normally on a regular night, they have some of the best venues for music in the country, if not the world.  By the way, it may be one of the best places to eat in the USA.  You name it, they got it. 


Another week down and the weekend is upon us.  Have a great one.  Cheers, Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment