Monday, April 18, 2011

(New England) Patriot's Day


Patriot's Day is a holiday only celebrated in Massachusetts and Maine.  I grew up in MA and just knew we had a day off in April, often times it would coincide with the kick off of April Vacation.  I never knew it was to commemorate the Battles of Lexington and Concord, which were the first battles of the American Revolutionary War.  At times, I also thought we had the day off, because The Boston Marathon is run every year on this day and the Boston Red Sox play at 11AM.  Take the day off just in case you want to run this year.

I guess it's like VJ Day (Victory Over Japan) in RI, where I live now.  I had no clue what that was about until I moved here.  It's a state holiday in RI, but nowhere else.  Its very interesting to learn about state holidays that are individual to that area of the country.  

So, Patriot's Day has nothing to do with the New England Patriots American football team, but then again, it has everything to do with it...if you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment