Friday, April 15, 2011

Nine By Design 31 - Summer Movie Preview


You've made it.  It's Friday...there is much rejoicing.  You can do whatever you do on the weekend.  For my wife and me, it's just more prep for the baby.  We're about 6 weeks out, before our daughter shows up.  Excited, yes...nervous, yes...scared, sure...no one wants to be the first one to drop the baby.  Our weekly list is a little different today.  It's a Summer Movie Preview.  Looking at movies that will come out between May and August.  Not telling you what you should see, but movies...(some) I'd like to see, if I had time, which I won't or money, which I don't.



Summer Movie Preview:

The Superhero Movies:  I'll just combine all of those movies into one group to save space.  There are a bunch this summer.  Starting with Thor in May.  I want to like this movie.  It has a great director in Branagh and a very strong cast, although, Natalie Portman is becoming a female Michael Caine, she's in everything.  I don't know how this Norse god will translate to the screen.  June has X-Men: First Class and Green Lantern, debuting.  These two movies would be the ones I'd pay for.  Mainly, Green Lantern, as I've been a fan of the comics since I could read.  Captain America: The First Avenger comes out in July and looks very awkward from what I've seen so far.  I love the character, but wouldn't see it in the theater.

The Animated Movies:  If it's not a big blockbuster, special effects movie, its an animated film.  The summer audience is dominated by out of school kids.  Kung Fu Panda 2 kicks it off in May.  It'll do well on name alone, as will Cars 2.  Movies like Winnie the Pooh and the Smurfs are toss ups.  Smurfs is a special effects driven movie, right up the alley for kids.  Winnie the Pooh, might be too sophisticated for kids.  Hand drawn art, no celebrity voices, with storytelling the main star here.  A movie that my generation grew up with.

The Sequels: Summer time, means sequels...sadly.  Well, sometimes it works, but I think you know what I'm talking about.  Pirates of the Caribbean: Johnny Depp Cashes Another Check (really, On Stranger Tides) starts the Sequel -Palooza.  I can't even remember if I saw the last one, let alone, if I would see this one.  Hangover II : Love You Long Time (I'm just adding stuff), it takes place in Thailand, I think it fits.  I think it'll be good, but it has big shoes to fill in the original...it's another I'll wait until is out of the theater.  There's also another Transformers/Michael Bay explosion fest and the last, I think it's the last, Harry Potter movie.  I think he files for AARP in this one.

Mr. Popper's Penguins: Based on a Children's book and starring the child-like Jim Carrey, could be an alternative to all of the animated films for kids.  I'm not super familiar with the book, but its one of those sleeper type movies that could win over kids looking for something other than talking cars.  They are out there.

Cowboys & Aliens:  Here's your big budget, Sci-Fi movie.  Jon Favreau stepped away from the Iron Man franchise and put together a really great cast for this movie.  Clancy Brown, Sam Rockwell (just go see everything he's ever done, phenomenal) and some guys named Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford.  They all fit great in a western setting.  They also did NOT shoot in 3-D, thankfully.  This movie could also easily fall on it's proverbial face, like Battlefield:Earth.

Our Idiot Brother: Is a movie I think will be overlooked.  The great Paul Rudd stars with Elizabeth Banks and Zooey Deschanel.  Busted for pot, he leaves jail, homeless and jobless, staying with his sisters and causing havoc in their lives.  A movie, I'd like to see.

Fright Night: They re-made the movie with Colin Farrell.  The cast is really good; Anton Yelchin, David Tennant (Dr. Who, for a bit) and the aforementioned, Farrell.  I think the original is still the standard for the alternate take on a vampire movie.  Hopefully, the remake will be loyal to it.

30 Minutes Or Less: This could be the sleeper comedy of the summer.  You have funny guys; Danny McBride, Nick Swardson and Aziz Ansari to go with super nerd, Jesse Eisenberg.  It's the same director from Zombieland, so it could be in good hands. 

Hesher: Joseph Gordon-Levitt stars as an anti-social loner/anti-hero/mentor to the kid, whose parents own the house of the garage he squats in.  Make sense?  I think it could be the Indie hit of the summer if it gets a wide release.  Something, I'd check out if given the chance.  Natalie Portman is in this as well...no, I'm not kidding.

That's our list for the week.  Have a great one.  Cheers, Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment