Saturday, July 2, 2011

Nine By Design 40


Okay, I know it's not Friday.  Real life got in the way.  Took the family to the mall (Sears) to get some auto repairs and it literally took the entire day.  Walking around the mall for hours upon hours with no real spending money, blows big time.  This will be a quick Nine By Design.  Newer bands (to me at least) that I'm getting into these days. 

New Bands (for me):

Volbeat - I saw them for the first time on the Revolver Golden Gods Awards show.  Really liked them.  They mix metal with alternative and have a sense of humor.  I hope this band from Denmark hit big in America.

Fleet Foxes -  Still don't know much about this band, but the more I hear from them the more I like them.

Black Country Communion - Holy crap are they good.  Just heard their second album, aptly titled 2.  Glenn Hughes (Black Sabbath, Deep Purple), Joe Bonamassa, Jason Bonham and Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater) really make great music together.  Good blusey, hard rock...

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Still getting into Mr. Leo and his merry men.  Still have yet to be disappointed by anything I hear from him.  Great revved up power pop, with clever hooks and melodies.

Gary Moore - He passed away a few months ago sadly.  I'm still discovering how great a guitarist and singer he was.  Just amazing stuff.

Devil Makes Three - Really great songs and fun music from this three piece hailing from California.

Jay Berndt - The next three will be local bands/musicians I really like.  It's my blog, my rules.  All have been written about here and played on my radio show.  Berndt is a fantastic songwriter.  Here's a real performer and not the junk considered country these days.

Joe Fletcher & The Wrong Reasons - Another really great songwriter and performer.  We have our fair share in Providence, RI.
The Throttles - From the ashes of The Amazing (Royal) Crowns comes, The Throttles.  Just three superior musicians.  Great garage rock mixed with some rockabilly and various other genres.  Totally worth your time.

As I finish up the baby's crying and I've got to go.  Cheers, Happy Long Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment