Monday, October 4, 2010

Fans Don't Boo Nobodies


In case you were wondering, Reggie Jackson of the New York Jackson's, said the above quote.  In the world of sports, amateur and professional, you have to be somebody before anybody will boo you.  It should be taken as a badge of honor.  Much easier said than done, of course.

We, the sports fan, have just entered the sweet spot on the sports calendar.  The MLB playoffs are about to start, the College and Pro Football seasons are well underway, with the NHL about to get going later this week and the NBA getting off the bench to begin stretching.  In fact, this year we get the bonus of the Ryder Cup.

Golf

I personally don't play the sport.  I have played and the result is kinda ugly.  I don't mind watching it though.  It's great background noise to take a nap to.  I love watching the Ryder Cup.  It's one of the few times where golf becomes a team sport.  It's really very exciting.  Which is why I think the PGA should do a team event every year.  Have it be one of the fun late season tournaments.  Take the 50 best players in the world or something like that.  Have a random draw for teams and play a couple of rounds.  Just a thought...

American Football

I specified it as the "American" version, because there are other "footballs" out there and those "others"  have been played longer.  I just want to throw that out there.  Don't get me wrong, I do like the NFL, but I have progressively watched less of it over the past couple of years.  Which I think is odd, because the sport has become more popular.  Also, since I live in New England, we've had a pretty good run.  I don't really have anything to complain about.  I'd just rather watch the "other" footballs, both soccer and Aussie Rules, respectively.

Baseball

The regular season is over and the tournament is beginning.  Anything can happen and it probably will.  We don't have the time to go over everything that was "supposed to" happen, when it comes to the MLB playoffs.  So, who plays who?

Texas Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Rays
New York Yankees vs. Minnesota Twins
Cincinnati Reds vs. Philadelphia Phillies
Atlanta Braves vs. San Francisco Giants

I'll give you my superb predictions in a second.  I'd love to see all the teams that are new or haven't been there for a while advance.  Just because, it'd be something different.  I know the Yankees and Phillies spend all that money just to get here every year, but wouldn't you want to see the Twins and Reds?  No...alright fine.

First Round Predictions:
Rays beats Rangers
Twins beat Yankees (Yanks pitching staff is suspect)
Phillies over Reds
Giants over Braves

We'll come back and predict the second round when that starts.

Fantasy Sports Corner

As good a place as any to update the happenings. I went 1-2 on my last UFC picks.  It's just one of those sports where anything can and usually does, happen.  Very difficult to predict, but I do my best.

Fantasy Baseball is over for the season.  The Hong Kong Cavaliers finished a disappointing 4th, after the playoffs wrapped up.  I qualified for them in 2nd.

Fantasy Football is still going strong.  The Flying Burrito Brothers are currently 2-1.  With today being a Monday, the fourth game has yet to be completed.  I'm currently behind in that one, with a couple of players yet to play.  So it could change...stay tuned.

Fantasy Hockey has yet to start, but I have high hopes for the R2 Cheechoos.  The people I generally play fantasy sports with aren't hockey fans and that's fine.  I was lucky enough to get into a league with some guys from the Strat Forum.  You may ask what is Strat? 

Well, that could be an entire different blog, but as a teaser...Strat-O-Matic is the best sports simulation, bar none.  Look into it, explore it...In fact, I'm going to go play...have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment